This article is for those among us, who have no idea about what Hadoop is and why it can be useful for us. Hadoop is a popularly known name for Apache Hadoop. It is an open-source framework used for processing and storing big data. Big data storage is something with which every business needs to interact. Software solutions like Hadoop are beneficial in these regards for various reasons. Before we go into more details of its functionality, you first need to understand what Hadoop is. Hadoop does not only refer to the core software but the whole system along with additional software like Apache HBase, Apache Pig, Apache Spark, and Apache Hive. The entire component works as a complete ecosystem for Hadoop.
What are the Primary Features of Hadoop?
If you want to know about the functionality of Hadoop, then you need to know about its features. Hadoop is considered one of the most effective analytics platforms when it comes to operating for a big database. It is so popular that a lot of times people mistake it to be the only platform. Slowly but gradually the market is growing, however, with many new alternatives to Apache Hadoop. It will take a long time thought to outrun the superior features of the platform.
Here are a basic few features for the beginners to better understand Hadoop:
- Apache Hadoop is not a commercial program but rather an open-source one. This means that you can avail it at free of cost. You can, however, find a few commercial programs in the market for your business database too.
- Hadoop is more than just a regular software program. To call it anything less than a software framework would be to undermine it. It offers every feature you can think of and require regarding software application development. Not just that, but it will also help you in running the applications smoothly and provide toolsets and connection.
- The vastly distributed framework that Hadoop uses is termed Hadoop Distributed File System or HDFS. This data is divided and stored on several computers. You can perform multiple computations with the computers connected. Naturally, Hadoop has a very high speed for processing. This is especially beneficial for big enterprises that need to process millions of data MBs at different nodes and at the same time.
- The Hadoop Common feature provides abstractions and OS to the file database. The Hadoop Database contains library full of utilities that you can buy for other models too.
- Another excellent feature for Hadoop is the Hadoop YARN which functions as a resource management solution to a company database. This particular framework operates the resources that are necessary for running clusters. The computing clusters are essential for scheduling of user application.
- Hadoop has come up with innovative programming systems like Hadoop Map Reduce, to help the software process data more efficiently.
- There are individual master nodes in the Hadoop Clustering. These serve many worker nodes. Other than controlling the worker nodes, the master nodes also work as Name Nodes, Task Trackers, Data Nodes and Job Trackers. The worker nodes function most as Data nodes and Task Trackers. Due to this, you can only schedule the worker nodes to operate either data or computing tasks.
- Hadoop requires a few components for it functions correctly. The basic requirement is a Java Runtime Environment, JRE version 1.6 or higher and an SSH or Secure Shell. The SSH needs to be placed between the clusters and the nodes. This will help in running the routine startup and shutdown scripts.
- When it comes to Hadoop database, all file systems that are compatible with Hadoop will provide the information regarding their location for nodes. Hadoop applications thrive on this information like network switch identity, for scheduling work and reducing redundancy.
- The Hadoop file system keeps all the data of an enterprise stored within an FTP server that is remotely accessible. This is why you can quickly get the data enlisted to remotedba.com for obtaining Remote DBA support. This way, you can be in charge of managing the entire Hadoop Ecosystem.
What are the Advantages of Implementing Apache Hadoop to Handle Your Big Data Base?
Large enterprises tend to have a lot of data issues that are impossible for a single person to handle. Conventional data analytics approach may not always be sufficient to handle the entire critical situation every time. However, Hadoop is not your one-stop magical solution for all your big data solutions either. This is why you need to understand, when Hadoop can be useful for you and when you can seek alternative platforms.
There is no doubt about the fact that Hadoop is a much superior platform compared to the conventional RDBMS approach when it comes to analytics. The major reasons are:
- A huge space for storage
- The cost-efficiency
- Uncompromised Quality
- Resilient to Failure and superior Flexibility
It is advisable to get your Hadoop installed by some professional. When it comes to this particular platform, a lot of different technology and file system seems to come together. This is what sets Hadoop apart from its counterparts, and this also makes it difficult to implement. A lot of enterprises in a lot of different places have already started reaping the benefits of a remote service Hadoop expert. They will also be able to give you tips on establishing a better strategy for governance and can take care of all operational and management activities. This is why; hiring a professional in-house Hadoop DBA is a very effective way of reducing the cost. It is not difficult to understand that a career in Hadoop is promising.