If we talk about best-performing air purifiers then it must feature more than one filter technology and with HEPA style filtration. Hepa filter will give you the best result. As we can say that Filtration process is not ideal without the HEPA air purifiers, and all the symptoms of particle pollution will not get reduced.
Types of Air Purifiers
1. HEPA Air Purifiers
- This is one of the most effective technology for air purifiers
- HEPA air filter is able to absorb up to 99.97% of all particles, like allergens, pollen, dust, dander, and others that are 0.03 microns and larger in size as well as indoor particles also.
- And the most important thing is this is used worldwide in medical cleanrooms
Regular filter replacements
- Some of the air purifiers use HEPA filter with the with electro staticity that allows an electrical charge to trap particles traveling in the air stream. So that more particles are gathered and the charged particles are captured by the HEPA air filter.
- HEPA air filters can absorb Bacteria, dust, and pollen and other microscopic particles so the You will get clean, fresh air which will free from harmful contaminants.
Technologies with HEPA Filter
There are so many different technologies that are used in air purifiers with HEPA style filtration. all of them are mentioned below:
- Activated carbon
- Ultraviolet light
The Function of HEPA Air Filter
High-Efficiency Particulate Air filters are the most efficient air filter. It is made up of fiberglass and it can remove 99.97% particles as small as 0.3 microns from the air. HEPA Filtration process is mainly used in many high technology industries which actually need high air quality.
Advantages of HEPA filters:
- It is able to remove all the dust particles, pet dander, bacteria and other common indoor allergens.
- Captured Air contaminants never released back into the air.
- They don’t generate ozone or harmful byproducts.
Disadvantages of the HEPA filter:
- They will not be able to remove odors, gases, chemical fumes, volatile organic compounds, cigarette smoke, and ultra-small particles, viruses, and germs.
- These type of filter works passively and they require a fan to draw in air in order to trap air contaminants.
- Also, there are chances that Bacteria and viruses that have been trapped in the filter can breed and reproduce.
2. Activated Carbon Air Filter
The function of Carbon Air Filter
They are made from coconut shells, wood or coal. As we know that activated carbon filters contain millions of small pores between carbon atoms so that they can trap chemical fumes, gases, and odors. As it has a high surface area so that carbon filters are excellent at trapping gases.
Advantages of the Carbon filter:
- This water filter has no chemicals or other substances that are added to water, it is created from materials such as coconut shell, bituminous, and wood.
- These AC filters are one of the least expensive filters they don’t require much maintenance.
Disadvantages of the Carbon Filter:
- Won’t be able to remove dust and other allergens effectively.
- Also, they will not capture bacteria and viruses completely.
- Like HEPA filter, it also works passively too and it will also need a fan to draw in the air in order to trap air contaminants.
- The filter will need to be replaced as soon as it will be full of trapped contaminants otherwise it will lose its effectiveness.
3. Air Ionizer
The function of the Air Ionizer
An air ionizer is used to create negative ions which can change the polarity of airborne particles so that they will attract each other. When all these particles become heavier then they will settle on the ground automatically without staying airborne. And then the ionizer will collect all the charged air contaminants on its collector plate. Most of the ionizers are using a stainless steel for producing produce negative ions.
Advantages of Air Ionizer:
- It will remove 0.01 microns particles from the air.
- The Ionizer will neutralize chemical fumes, cigarette smoke, viruses, and bacteria.
- An air ionizer is used to send out ions which can circulate throughout the room and removing airborne particles across the whole room.
Disadvantages of the Air Ionizer:
- It cannot remove bad odors and chemicals.
- Also, it will not be able to kill all viruses.
- Ionizer will not be able to collect all of the charged particles removed from the air.
- the Ionizer produces trace amounts of ozone and other oxidants as by-products.
4. Germicidal UV Lamp
The function of UV Lamp:
Ultraviolet lamps can destroy germs, viruses, mold, and bacteria effectively. This is majorly is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control to prevent illness and disease.
Advantages of UV lamp:
- They can destroy micro-organism.
- Also, it will help to prevent the spread of illnesses and diseases.
Disadvantages of the UV Lamps:
- There will not any effect on particulate like dust.
- It can’t remove chemical fumes, gases, or cigarette smoke, odors and unless designed to produce ozone.
4. Electrostatic Air Purifiers
- In these air purifiers, you don’t need to replace the air as they don’t use air filters.
- Electrostatic air purifiers use an electrical charge to trap particles so that charged particles stick on collection plates. It is more disappointing that they only remove 30% of particles from your indoor air.
- Electronic air purifiers are very low maintenance so you only have to clean the collection plates for optimal efficiency.
- These purifiers will not be able to clean all of the air in an enclosed space just because they are not using HEPA air filters
- It was measured to have left about 5% of the contaminated air in the room to circulate without it ever being absorbed by the purifier.
- As they don’t have good ratings also so think before you buy this type of air purifiers.
- Ozone generator air purifier will able to remove strong odors and kills bacteria, mold, and other microorganisms but they intentionally produce ozone.
- These air purifiers are not effective for your home as they can be proved harmful to your family and they can cause health problems like respiratory tract irritation and breathing difficulty.
- Generally, ozone generators are used in commercial applications for purifying the air and removing all the airborne particles, chemicals, mold, viruses, bacteria, and odors.
- However, they are not effective at cleaning the air except at extremely high, unsafe ozone levels.
Air purifier buying guide in India
The only purpose of this article is to select the best air purifier. Some of the air purifiers can harm your lungs. So go through the whole article and you will be able to distinguish good air purifier. Try to select the best air purifier which is based on your room size and type of impurities you want to eliminate.
As you know that pollution in cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Pune is too much that no one is able to handle this. Taking an Air Purifier looks like a good option. First of all just try to solve your home indoor pollution by just steps mentioned below.
Few ways to get rid of indoor pollution
- You have to take care of your Gas stove or hub and always make sure that there is enough ventilation to push the cooking smells, fumes, gases and pollution outside. If your windows are having a window by side then it will be helpful. The exhaustive fan is a quite good option for you. And if the fan is not able to clean then you can go for a Kitchen Chimney.
- Don’t smoke inside the kitchen. So try to avoid your habits of smoking inside your home.
- You should always be aware of the furniture or paints that should not emit formaldehyde.
- If you are using kerosene lamps or candles inside the home then it can produce carbon dioxide inside your home which can lower the amount of the oxygen.
- You have to clean your home frequently for that you can buy a Vacuum Cleaner. Nowadays they also come with the HEPA filter.
After doing all these things if you still think that indoor pollution is harming you then you can go for buying an air purifier. And if someone in your family is suffering from asthma then you must buy an air purifier.
Air Purifier Buying Guide
If you are thinking of buying an air purifier then it is quite a difficult task for you. Just take a look of how air purifier exactly works. There are so many factors that you must consider before buying an air purifier. This is very much important for you to go through each and every feature of the air purifier that you are going to buy and compare with the latest models. You should not trust sell executive blindly. This buying guide article will definitely help you to choose the best purifier. Before choosing the air purifier just take a look at these features:
- Check the size of the room in which you wish to install an air purifier. You should check the size in the square feet.
- Portability of the air purifiers is a very much important factor.
- Try to avoid Ionizers, UV light-based models. Just because these air purifiers release ozone as a byproduct which has adverse effects on the health.
- Always go with the HEPA filter.
- The important thing you should keep in mind is consumption of the electricity.
You may also read about best air purifier in India